No Cooking, No Canning Dill Pickles
NO COOKING, NO CANNING DILL PICKLES
- 1 packet Chilled Dill Pickle Mix
- enough fresh cut, crisp vegetables* to fill a 1-gallon container
- 3 cups vinegar (white or cider), white vinegar achieves best results
- 2 cups water (use up to 2 cups water; do not exceed)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute**)
Pack a 1-gallon container completely full with fresh, crisp, cut-up vegetables. Pour packet of pickle mix into container (on top of vegetables), next add sugar, vinegar and last add water. Do not exceed 2 cups of water. Make sure vegetables are completely covered in liquid. Cover and shake or stir pickles to mix. Leave covered and refrigerate. Shake or stir occasionally to keep mixed. Pickles are better the longer they set; for best flavor allow 5 to 7 days before eating. Keep refrigerated.
*Use any vegetable or any combination of vegetables that will stay crisp: i..,
cucumbers, zucchini, onions, peppers (green, red or yellow), celery, carrots,
cabbage or cauliflower. String beans (green beans) require blanching.
**You may use an artificial sweetener in place of sugar, but use only the amount of
artificial sweetener that would replace (equivalent to) 1/4 cup of sugar.